Last year, the Dyson V6 proved to be a lightweight, cordless vacuum with good suction and a mediocre battery.
The Dyson V8 Absolute vacuum has updated several features found on its earlier counterpart, the most notable update being a doubled battery life.
The Dyson V6 battery drains after 20 minutes and the Dyson V8 runs for a whopping 40 minutes. With such an impressive battery update and a refresh on so many other features, the Dyson V8 is priced at $600.
The question we consumers face is whether or not the vacuum is worth the price tag…
When you buy a Dyson V8 you’re not just buying a vacuum. You’re also purchasing a wand with six attachments, two vacuum heads meant for hard floors and carpets, respectively, a motorized tool for pet hair, a soft brush for electronics, a multi-filter system, and a wall mount for storage and charging. This lightweight vacuum packs a powerful motor that can tackle nearly any small mess, provided the proper attachment is used. The Dyson V8 requires a long charge for a short run so this vacuum is not suited for large homes unless exclusively intended as a spot cleaner; however, it could be the pet-owning, apartment, small house, or condo dweller’s all-in-one dream vacuum.
In an effort to test the su[easyazon_image align=”left” height=”500″ identifier=”B01IENFJ14″ locale=”US” src=”http://www.reviewlatest.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/51qYGXtH0LL.jpg” tag=”77033-20″ width=”500″]ction power of the vacuum in a controlled manner, we scattered 150 grams each of flour, sand and cereal on both carpeted and hardwood floors and vacuumed them up, sampling both heads on each floor type. Needless to say, the cleaner head intended for the carpet performed abysmally on the hard floor and the hard floor cleaner head performed equally badly on the carpet. After attaching the appropriate heads, which was remarkably quick and easy, the Dyson V8 sucked up almost every crumb in about one minute.
The updates brought to the Dyson V8 undeniably improve power and battery life in the vacuum but there are a few particularly interesting quirks we discovered with this vacuum. Below is a complete summary of our Dyson V8 Absolute test run.
- 5.6 pounds – a lightweight and easily maneuverable cordless vacuum.
- A multitude of easily swapped attachments to tackle any cleaning task.
- Exceptional pet hair attachment.
- Powerful suction.
- Wall mount for storage and charging included.
- Same trapdoor-style bin as most other Dyson vacuums.
- 2 year warranty, standard with Dyson cordless vacuums.
- Trigger must be held continuously for operation – fine on quick jobs but cramp-inducing on longer runs.
- No space for attachments at wall mount.
- Long charge time at five hours to fill the battery for relatively short run time at 40 minutes.
- Correct attachment required for proper function of Dyson V8 for any given task.
- Cannot be the sole vacuum in a large home.
[easyazon_image align=”right” height=”500″ identifier=”B01IENFJ14″ locale=”US” src=”http://www.reviewlatest.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/515Y9QyB4PL.jpg” tag=”77033-20″ width=”500″]
Battery Testing: Better than Expected
- 40-minute battery with attachments promised, delivered 41-minute averages.
- 7-minute battery in max mode promised, delivered 8-to-9-minute averages.
- At $600, the Dyson V8 vacuum is one pricey cordless but lightweight and powerful.
- Better suited for apartment and condo dwellers as the short battery life and long charge time is insufficient for cleaning a 3 bedroom house or larger.
- Cheaper cordless vacuum options are available but they ultimately lack the versatility of the Dyson V8.
- Vacuum seems sturdy even though it is made of plastic and the aluminum wand dented on its first proper fall.
Dyson V8 Absolute Vacuum
If your home is spacious and you are looking for an all-purpose vacuum, the Dyson V8 and other cordless vacuums are not the right fit for you. For those that reside in smaller dwellings, such as one-bedroom houses, apartments, or condos (especially pet owners) with diverse flooring or those that are looking for a spot cleaner, the Dyson V8 is versatile enough to handle everything. See our best upright vacuum cleaners review or best handheld vacuum cleaners review if your looking for a different type of vacuum cleaner.
[easyazon_cta align=”left” cart=”y” identifier=”B01IENFJ14″ key=”wide-orange” locale=”US” tag=”77033-20″]