Having an electric fan around can be a blessing during hot summer days.
Without the benefit of air conditioning many of us will choose an household electric fan to maintain our comfort during the hottest summer weather.
But what type of fan is best for you and what are the features you should be looking for in a household fan?
We’ve looked at 37 household electric fans and completed more than 93 hours of research and testing to write this review, so that I am able to tell you that the [easyazon_link identifier=”B00LA1FIHS” locale=”US” tag=”77033-20″]Seville Classics UltraSlimline Tower[/easyazon_link] came out as the best electric fan to buy for most people.
1. Seville Classics UltraSlimline Tower[easyazon_image align=”none” height=”500″ identifier=”B00LA1FIHS” locale=”US” src=”http://www.reviewlatest.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/41FPoWSRmL.jpg” tag=”77033-20″ width=”500″]
[easyazon_link identifier=”B00LA1FIHS” locale=”US” tag=”77033-20″]Buy Now[/easyazon_link]
This is a tower fan from Seville able to circulate air throughout a large room. Thanks to its space saving design, the fan doesn’t occupy much space but still did the job very brilliantly. The lightweight design made it very portable while the fire retardant plastic added an extra layer of security over the fan. The fan mimics natural breeze and delivers in pattern of breeze to give maximum circulation around the room. This fan did not excel is every area of our testing but it was solid in them all and for us, it really did strike the best balance between price and performance.
Why are our reviews are trustworthy
The review was completed the first time round as I was in need of an electric fan for my house after a particularily warm summer and so needed to do the research to find one for myself.
Did you know that the first electric fan was invented and used in 1882 by American inventor Schuyler Skaats Wheeler in New Orleans, LA?
Since that first review we have taken things a whole lot further over the last few years to include the testing of the fans in real world enviroments, as well as in controlled testing eviroments. We have consulted with engineers and specialists, like Virginia Murray and Christina Simpson, plus logged many hours to create this review.
We looked at a raft of electric fans and keep up to date with reviews from other companies that also review products, such as, Good Housekeeping, Amazon and TrustedReviews. Then we do our own testing ourselves and with members of our product testing teams who provide their feedback through our in depth product testing programs
*This review covers top electric fans on the market before and since the last time we created this guide.
Who should get these
If you want to circulate air in your home during the summer, purchasing a top rated electric fan is the best option. In fact, it is recommended that you go for the best electric fan as the most ideal choice for your home. Having a portable fan can help you live more comfortably in your home in the heat. Since a fan can be a costly purchase, you need to make the right decision from the start when choosing the right unit for you. Some fans are prone to breaking down or wearing out fast making it costly to replace them. That is one of the reasons why you should take your time before buying.
How we selected for testing
We started by making a list of all of the best electric fans we could find for sale in stores and online. Then we looked at the reviews these products had recieved from consumers that had purchased them across the most popular websites and then removed fans with less than 100 reviews or a score of less than 4 stars. In the end we listed 37 models in the original selection process for this category after the removals.
While getting a fan with a full compliment of features might seem the right way to go, it is more important for most people to choose one that is powerful, easy to use and looks good in your home. We considered each one’s size, power and noise level.
A good fans basic functionality is to blow air and do it at a reasonable noise level. A fan’s power is measured in cubic feet per minute (cfm), which is the volume of air it can move around per minute.
If you are sensitive to noise or need a fan for the nursery or your bedroom, then the best ones for you will have a lower decibel (dB) rating. Be careful though, our testing revealed that there are some fans are super quiet on their low settings but can really noisy on high settings.
Another basic requirement of any good fan is to be able to circulate air throughout a room, this is a capability that can’t be measured by CFM.
Some of the large fans do not fit everywhere we wanted them too and conversely, smaller fans fit better but some lacked the oomph needed to provide good airflow in larger spaces. Be sure to choose a tower fan that blows cold air, giving you the cooling power you need.
It would be great if all fans lasted for a long time, but unfortunatly problems eventually surface with any fan you buy. We looked at each manufacturer’s support levels and whether that communication was available by email, mail or telephone to discover which companies respond best to their customers when problems arise.
How we tested
The primary reason for looking for the best household electric fan to buy is so that we can get the chance to enjoy cooler, crisp air on a hot summers day when we don’t have a portable air conditioner. In order to test the fans for this year’s review, we selected a raft of new participants from our product testing program that live in warmer climates.
We sent the fans, instructions and score sheets so that they could test them for us in their own homes. We also prepared the fan units for ourselves to test in house.
Our home test spaces were a small one bedroom apartment, a larger two bedroom apartment, a three storey walk up and a four bedroom home out in the suburbs. Where we were able to test the fans over the course of several months, spring to summer to build up a good dataset across many different climates.
For the controlled testing we used a rudimentary wind tunnel (1.8m long and 48cm diameter), being a [easyazon_link identifier=”B00KQO36D8″ locale=”US” tag=”77033-20″]Large Pop Up Tunnel[/easyazon_link]. Then with each fan blowing from one end and a [easyazon_link identifier=”B00ZHKWCP4″ locale=”US” tag=”77033-20″]HOLDPEAK Digital Anemometer[/easyazon_link] at the other, we collected some great basic airflow and velocity performance readings.
For each fan, we took a series of 6 velocity readings in feet per minute (FPM): lower right, lower left, upper right, upper left, and dead center. These figures were then multiplied by the square footage of the opening (48cm), averaged, and weighted. This then gave us airflow readings we needed in cubic feet per minute (CFM), which is the standard unit of measurement used by HVAC contractors.
The next test we performed was to see how loud each fan was at its lowest and highest setting. To do this we used a android noise meter app and measured and recorded the dB of each fan.
Then we went onto testing the circulation ability. Now, we all know a good fan should be able to circulate air throughout the whole of a room. To assess how good these fans were at moving air throughout a room, we stuck lightweight ribbons in different places throughout a 294sq foot room. This way we could really test the ability of each of the fans move each of the ribbons. To ensure consistancy for this test each fan was placed in the same place within the room, and each was set to the highest speed setting, with the oscillation mode turned on full.
During the above testing we were able to also test the ergonomics and safety of each of the fans. Was it easy to slip your finger through the safety grate? Was it easy to pick up and move around? Did it start to overheat if it was running all day? All of these questions and more were asked of these fans in order to evaluate them effectively.
Other Top Picks:
2. Honeywell HY-280 QuietSet Whole Room Tower Fan[easyazon_image align=”none” height=”500″ identifier=”B00B4BJZ9G” locale=”US” src=”http://www.reviewlatest.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/31uPfnEgcML.jpg” tag=”77033-20″ width=”500″] Price: $58
[easyazon_link identifier=”B00B4BJZ9G” locale=”US” tag=”77033-20″]Buy Now[/easyazon_link]
This is a premium electric fan also from Honeywell that runs in an extremely quiet mode, thus perfect for all kinds of meetings and attention demanding tasks. We were able to test the small desk fan in 8 speeds, all of which gave us no noise to complain of. The controls are embedded in a touch panel that may be pressed or controlled via a remote. There was also an “Oscillation and Breeze Settings” that allowed us to change the fashion in which cooling was distributed. All of this was combined with an 8 hour shut-off timer to prevent overheating or any other unfortunate event.
3. Lasko 3300 20″ Wind Machine 3 Speed Cooling 3300[easyazon_image align=”none” height=”500″ identifier=”B00002N5ZB” locale=”US” src=”http://www.reviewlatest.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/513y0UJsGxL.jpg” tag=”77033-20″ width=”500″] Price: $44
[easyazon_link identifier=”B00002N5ZB” locale=”US” tag=”77033-20″]Buy Now[/easyazon_link]
One of the best electric fans you’ll get for this price, the Lasko 3300 has 20 inch blades which were great in circulating cool air right in to a particularly warm room. We were very much impressed by the hardened body which gave the electric fan enough resistance to sustain small falls. The fan was operated at 3 varying speeds and fan comes with a 1 year warranty.
4. Battery Operated Clip on Fan, Mini Desk Fan Powered by USB[easyazon_image align=”none” height=”500″ identifier=”B01IHY1M5W” locale=”US” src=”http://www.reviewlatest.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/51ymRLbfhKL.jpg” tag=”77033-20″ width=”500″] Price: $23
[easyazon_link identifier=”B01IHY1M5W” locale=”US” tag=”77033-20″]Buy Now[/easyazon_link]
Featuring a unique design and an original feature set, the small desk fan is one of the most handy appliance you’ll own. The fan is small in size thus, very much portable. We were able to fit into our suit case with ease and plenty of room for our clothes. The motor was very powerful and generated wind speed of 75ft/sec while running on battery. The USB charger truly gave us the power of mobility and we never required packing a thick adapter that becomes very annoying on longer trips.
5. Lasko 4000 Air Stik Ultra-Slim Oscillating Fan[easyazon_image align=”none” height=”500″ identifier=”B000MFAOPY” locale=”US” src=”http://www.reviewlatest.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/31oH12kXK9L.jpg” tag=”77033-20″ width=”500″] Price: $23
[easyazon_link identifier=”B000MFAOPY” locale=”US” tag=”77033-20″]Buy Now[/easyazon_link]
The 14 inch portable tower fan comes with 2 speed settings and LED-illuminated electronic controls which didn’t disappoint us at all. It is a ultra-slim oscillating fan that is great for places where space is at a premium and is also ultra quiet when operating.
6. Efluky Mini USB Rechargeable Portable Table Fan[easyazon_image align=”none” height=”500″ identifier=”B00Y1VZ00E” locale=”US” src=”http://www.reviewlatest.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/51Q5voglRL.jpg” tag=”77033-20″ width=”500″]
[easyazon_link identifier=”B00Y1VZ00E” locale=”US” tag=”77033-20″]Buy Now[/easyazon_link]
This is a portable table fan comes with 3 speeds that picks up cool air and directs it around the room. The fan worked as advertised and we operated the unit on all 3 settings and it didn’t make significant amount of noise to disturb anyone so is really suited to a desktop enviroment in the office.
7. O2COOL 10-Inch Portable Fan with AC Adapter[easyazon_image align=”none” height=”500″ identifier=”B00ATSHMIQ” locale=”US” src=”http://www.reviewlatest.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/51tdEmH7ruL.jpg” tag=”77033-20″ width=”500″]
[easyazon_link identifier=”B00ATSHMIQ” locale=”US” tag=”77033-20″]Buy Now[/easyazon_link]
The O2Cool Electric Fan can be operated via 2 power sources. When operated using an AC adapter, the fan delivered powerful, 2 speed cooling with its 10 inch blade. We weren’t expecting the same performance when switching it to battery mode but to our surprise the battery was able to run the fan for 40 hours before requiring a charge. This is perfect for both home and office due to its compact size, low cost and excellent usability.
8. Honeywell HT-908 Turbo Force Room Air Circulator[easyazon_image align=”none” height=”500″ identifier=”B001R1Q0OG” locale=”US” src=”http://www.reviewlatest.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/51gQ8nvvdFL.jpg” tag=”77033-20″ width=”375″] Price: $25
[easyazon_link identifier=”B001R1Q0OG” locale=”US” tag=”77033-20″]Buy Now[/easyazon_link]
Honeywell is the industry leader in producing cheap, high performance and best electric fans. This electric fan comes with a new blade design which when turned on gave us a non-audible blow. When tested for its voltage and current ratings, we found that the electric fan consumed 22 percent less energy compared to other variants. The small powerful fan was able to run at 3 different speeds and we were able to feel the air blowing from almost 30 feet. Cleaning the fan wasn’t difficult as well thanks to the easy removable grill.
9. Comfort Zone CZ6C Clip on Fan[easyazon_image align=”none” height=”500″ identifier=”B000U9V47E” locale=”US” src=”http://www.reviewlatest.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/51DbZwZoqL.jpg” tag=”77033-20″ width=”366″]
[easyazon_link identifier=”B000U9V47E” locale=”US” tag=”77033-20″]Buy Now[/easyazon_link]
The fan comes with an easy clip on and a set of tough brake resistant plastic blades that make i a wonderful choice for both home and office. We found the operation very quiet and features that were good enough for a $10 priced electric fan. The fan could be operated on two speeds, had an adjustable tilt and came with a coiled cord. With that being said, the clip on was strong enough to hang from a firm rubber pipe or cord without bringing the structure down, thanks to the lightweight design.
10. Vornado 630 Mid-Size Whole Room Air Circulator[easyazon_image align=”none” height=”500″ identifier=”B000E5WAUO” locale=”US” src=”http://www.reviewlatest.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/414UQKDxrvL.jpg” tag=”77033-20″ width=”500″]
[easyazon_link identifier=”B000E5WAUO” locale=”US” tag=”77033-20″]Buy Now[/easyazon_link]
Vornado is known for introducing its signature technologies in the market that always gives the competition a tough time. This electric fan from Vornada is no different and has a special circulation feature in it. We put the feature to test and found out that when put in any corner of the room, the fan was able to circulate air to all corners! We had 3 speed settings while the deep pitched blades allowed air to travel for up to 70 feet. All this came, backed up by 5 years of warranty.
11. Lasko 2511 Tower Fan
[easyazon_image align=”none” height=”500″ identifier=”B002M0HU04″ locale=”US” src=”http://www.reviewlatest.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/31oLIwYNYpL.jpg” tag=”77033-20″ width=”500″]
[easyazon_link identifier=”B002M0HU04″ locale=”US” tag=”77033-20″]Buy Now[/easyazon_link]
The Lasko 2511 is a tower electric fan capable of running at 3 different speeds. We found the 36 inch fins to be extremely efficient when operated in conjunction with the 3 speeds. But conventional features isn’t where the list ends. The best electric fan had an electronic touch control operation which meant configuring it was very easy. There was also a programmable timer that prevented misuse of electricity when there was no one in the room. In addition, the design was very innovative and even though we though that this would occupy too much space, the slim width made the electric fan a perfect fit for all locations.
12. Honeywell Fresh Breeze Tower Fan with Remote Control[easyazon_image align=”none” height=”500″ identifier=”B000E13ERQ” locale=”US” src=”http://www.reviewlatest.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/31ZmhVYvNGL.jpg” tag=”77033-20″ width=”202″]
[easyazon_link identifier=”B000E13ERQ” locale=”US” tag=”77033-20″]Buy Now[/easyazon_link]
The Honeywell Fresh Breeze Tower Fan HY-048BP can be operated in 3 speeds and packs an ionizer that distributes a very natural, refreshing feel in the entire room. The generator blades were very efficient and gave us clean air for all the time they were on. We controlled the fan via a remote control while the head tilting allowed us to direct cooling towards different corners of the room. There is also a dust filter that works well for people allergic to pollen.
13. Lasko 2004W 2-Speed Clip Electric Fan[easyazon_image align=”none” height=”500″ identifier=”B00FXOFO7W” locale=”US” src=”http://www.reviewlatest.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/41gy02yDIyL.jpg” tag=”77033-20″ width=”489″]
[easyazon_link identifier=”B00FXOFO7W” locale=”US” tag=”77033-20″]Buy Now[/easyazon_link]
The Lasko 2004W Clip Electric Fan is a very energy efficient device that can easily run on a plug in socket without effecting other connections. We found the spring loaded clips to be very firm that held the fan through all kinds of lose bars. The fan required absolutely no assembly and was easy to use. The low price makes the electric fan an obvious choice for students residing in hostels and dorms and we very much recommend this fan because of its sturdiness and electric efficiency.
14. Honeywell HS-1655 QuietSet 16″ Stand Fan[easyazon_image align=”none” height=”450″ identifier=”B014VH2C3U” locale=”US” src=”http://www.reviewlatest.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/31Nw4gvUjUL.jpg” tag=”77033-20″ width=”450″]
[easyazon_link identifier=”B014VH2C3U” locale=”US” tag=”77033-20″]Buy Now[/easyazon_link]
In addition to making desk fans and clip-ons, Honeywell is also known for its pedestal and stand fans. We were very much delighted in operating the appliance and found it very satisfying. It took greater space compared to other fans in the list but provided unparalleled flow of air at 5 different speeds. As expected the height was adjustable and so was the speed and range of oscillation so if you’re thinking of a more permanent solution, consider this electric fan.
15. Mini USB Fan with Aluminum Blades[easyazon_image align=”none” height=”500″ identifier=”B00WM7TRTY” locale=”US” src=”http://www.reviewlatest.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/51fRXgSERlL.jpg” tag=”77033-20″ width=”500″]
[easyazon_link identifier=”B00WM7TRTY” locale=”US” tag=”77033-20″]Buy Now[/easyazon_link]
It doesn’t get any cheaper than this. Through basic evaluation we found that this electric fan is best for dorm rooms that don’t have a lot of exposure and are usually packed to contain large fans. The metal fan had an excellent external design and was sturdy enough to survive a couple of falls. The fan is powered through a USB cable. There were total 3 anti-vibration pads that made the entire process very smooth and quiet, thus the recommendation for a shared dorm room.
Why Buy And Electric Fan?
Feeling too sweaty this summer? Or is this weather making you feel exhausted? Well here we have several electric fans for you. An electric fan is a type of device with several parts used for cooling purposes. The electric fans were made available to the general public after its mass communication was facilitated by industrialization in the 1920s. These electric fans became widely popular among the masses due to its affordable prices and its various advantages. An advantage of an electric fan includes increased engine cooling and improved air conditioning.
In addition increasing the horsepower and efficiency can be done by replacing the engine driven fan by an electric fan as the engine drag from turning the fan is eliminated. And also the electric fan can be operated like any other electric part in the automobile. The electric fan is run on the energy supplied by the battery in conduction with the electricity.
There is a wide range and designs of fans available for sale in the market which can be bought according to the needs of the person. Also these fans are available in different designs and styles so that it can be matched with the interiors of the area. Fans can be fixed into windows, walls, roofs or chimneys. They can be put anywhere on tables floors can be hung on ceilings, according to convenience.
The most popular types of electric fans are:
Portable electric fan
– These fans are completely portable and can be moved from one room to another to suit the needs of people. Table fans floor fans, small desk fan and many industrial fans come under this category.
– These are the fans which are hung on walls and are available in different designs and colors to match with the interior and design of the rooms. The numbers of blades in such fans vary and depend on a number of factors. These are the best electric fan for a room.
– The third type is the fan, which is used for facilitating ventilation and cooling .Exhaust fans are small powerful fan which are used in places which get heated up regularly so as to wipe out the moisture and heat before it destroys the construction material.
– These fans are made to take care of the employees and customers of the industrial area. These have special cool and odor settings to suit the needs of the industrialists. These types of electric fans include various duct fans, roof or ceiling fans, ceiling ventilator and wall mounted fans. For extreme weather conditions the drum fans can be used to spread large amount of air in the industry hall.
Bathroom exhaust fans
– These fans are designed to eliminate the offensive odors. Bathroom exhausts may come with built in heaters, lights and timer units. These fans help irradiate the problems of mold spores, warping doors, paint damage etc.
Energy efficient electric fans: How to save electricity by using these fans.
Electric fan heaters are an economical way to heat the room which is not used frequently but it also comes with portable model , or wall mounted form which can be fixed anywhere in the house easily. The new design of these heaters are modern which are constructed in a parallel form then mixes up very well with any kind of room interior. Also they are available in a traditional design electric fan heaters which are made of ceramic elements that throw the heat so that they remain cool to touch. People spend lot of money on electric fans. There are several ways to save electricity by using the electric motor fan which are not known by a lot of people. For instance, there is a reversible fan which pushes the air upward onto the ceiling which leads to pushing of heat upward which further results in bouncing it back to the center of the room instead of being trapped by the ceiling fan.
Secondly trap the heat when it enters, the room so that the room stays cool and the use of electric fan is minimized. To do this make sure you close all the doors, windows, and blinds at night and during the day let the sun rays enter your room. Also don’t block the heating vents, let the air spread in the room. Seal all the holes on the walls so that the heat is trapped inside the room instead of getting escaped. Thirdly try to choose an average size fan for an average sized room because with large fan the other sections of the house are optimal. Because of this when you walk in the other sections of the house you will surely feel cold. Remember that the heat rises from the ground and goes straight up because of which the floor goes cold and chilled.
The reversible motor really does wonders for the house. With a big reversible electric fan the hot air will be pushed down to fill in the entire room space and leads to normal temperature instead of walking in a cool surrounding. you can also place a fan in the hallway where the doors are nearby so that the cold air comes in through the door , reaches the hall which will further lead to circulation of cold air .Just follow these steps to save energy in the winter season and you will be surprised to see the end results .
There are types of best electric fans available in the market. Usage of a reversible electric fan for a staircase is advisable while small rooms and bedrooms should have small portable fans. Different fans cater to different needs and therefore you must recognize your needs and purchase a fan accordingly for a better experience.
- The Dyson Air Multiplier.John Biggs, TechCrunch
- A Brief History of Fans. Steve Cunningham, Fancollectors.org
- Dyson Fans. Dyson.com
- Some Electric Fans May Not Be Beneficial. Reuters
- Airius Case Studies Across Multiple Site Locations. Airius
- Lasko Electric Fans. Lasko Products
- Expert Reaction To Electric Fan Study. Science Media Centre
- Electric Fans Reducing Adverse Health Effects. ResearchGate